Review: Take My Heart – Marie Higgins
Review: Take My Heart – Marie Higgins
Take My Heart by Marie Higgins
Mercedes Maxwell’s sister’s last wish was for Mercedes to find evidence against Kat’s husband, William Braxton, and have him hung as a traitor to the crown. Mercedes isn’t naïve when it comes to capturing traitors, because her own deceased husband had once been an agent for the King when they lived in England.
When she meets William Braxton for the first time, all is not as it seems. Portraying her twin, Mercedes knows this is the only way to get close enough to William to discover his secrets. What she finds along the way are little surprises she hadn’t counted on, especially when she begins to give her heart to a man who may be a spy against the crown.
Praise for Marie Higgins
”I enjoyed this book immensely. Each book of Marie’s that I read is better than the last. I recommend this book to young adults and older who enjoy historical mystery, intrigue, fight for freedom, clean romance. This is the book for you.”
~~Mary Walling / Goodreads
“Few authors have mastered the art of storytelling like Marie Higgins. In this Colonial-era romance, Marie takes her reader on a wild ride. Every chapter, every scene, every line envelopes the reader’s senses and imagination with passionate romance, deep emotional struggles, unexpected twists and turns, and neverending ups and downs. This was a hard book to put down and earns an unequivocal five stars from me. Thanks, Marie, for writing such great romances!”
~~Wanda Luce / Goodreads
“Marie Higgins’s Take My Heart is a stunning colonial romance. With well developed characters and heartwarming scenes, this book will steal the hearts of romance lovers and historical fiction fans. There are numerous twists and Higgins keeps you guessing at every turn as to who the real villain is. This book is a “must-read” for anyone who loves romance, history, or just a good story. FIVE STARS ALL THE WAY!!” ~~L.D. Smith / Kindle
“Breathless! From start to finish you will keep wondering, questioning, and hoping. You will root for the underdog, and smile as love conquers all. Great read. You won’t put it down until you’re finished!”
~~M. Henning / Kindle
I love the beginning of this book. A lone female standing out in the dark waiting on someone to answer a door. Okay, what a way to start a book. The beginning pulls readers in and keeps the readers attention.
While I admit I am not fond of reading romance book with a storyline based in the US, this one was an exception. Lady Maxwell, is a strong character. Someone that knows what she wants and is not afraid to go after it. Someone who will keep you guessing as to what her next actions will be.
I enjoyed everything about this book. I admit I am not fond of the cover, but we readers know to never judge a book by the cover.
Thanks for an enjoyable read Marie.
Marie Higgins’ Top Ten list of – Romantic Sentences
I love romance! Everything about it. I love to watch romantic movies, to read romantic novels…and especially to WRITE romance! There’s nothing better, in my opinion. That being said, here is my top ten list of romantic sentences from my story “Take My Heart”…
10. Chestnut hair tousled by the wind framed his head, and she had a sudden urge to swipe the unruly locks off his forehead.
9. The sight of him left her speechless and a bit weak at the knees.
8. Even the way his gaze slowly swept over her made her skin prickle with awareness.
7. The sound of her voice compared to heavenly harps as they played in his lonely ears, making him long for a relationship that would never happen.
6. “Just for tonight, I want to imagine you are somebody else and not the selfish woman I married.”
5. It was getting harder and harder to resist her.
4. Mercedes appeared more reserved, more regal…and more fitting as his wife—the kind of wife he’d always wanted.
3. William choked on a gasp and his heart jumped to his throat when he heard his daughter speak for the first time in years.
2. Mercedes’ green eyes glittered as if sprinkled with diamonds, and the gentle beckoning of her delicate lips pulled him closer.
And, the number one—my favorite—sentence from “Take My Heart” is…
1. “William, you are the man I love—the man I will love until I die. Me, not the woman who deceived you on your wedding day. I am not my sister. I would never hurt you like she did.” (okay, so I know it’s more than one sentence, but this came from the confession scene that choked me with emotion while writing it)
Author Marie Higgins
Since Marie Higgins was a little girl playing Barbies with her sister, Stacey, she has loved the adventure of making up romantic stories. Marie was only eighteen years old when she wrote her first skit, which won an award for Funniest Skit. A little later in life, after she’d married and had children, Marie wrote Church roadshows that were judged as Funniest and Best Written. From there, she branched out to write full-length novels based on her dreams. (Yes, she says, her dreams really are that silly)
Marie has been married for twenty-six years to a wonderful man. Together, they have three loving daughters and several beautiful grandchildren. Marie works full time for the state of Utah, where she has lived her entire life. Marie plans to keep writing, because the characters in her head won’t shut up. But her husband smiles and pretends this is normal.